Sunday, September 19, 2010

An Ending that should have been a Keeper



Jodi Picoult published her hit novel My Sister’s Keeper in April 2004 through Atria Books. To see the author’s official site click here. In June 2009, New Line Cinema released the film version, to go to its' official site click here. The story introduces us to Anna Fitzgerald who is 13 years old in the novel, and 11 years old in the film. Anna’s big sister Kate has acute promyelocytic leukemia. Anna’s Parents genetically conceived Anna to be a donor for Kate when neither they nor their eldest child Jesse matched her. When it reaches the point that Kate needs Anna to donate a kidney, Anna files a lawsuit against her parents for the rights to her own body. The story follows the family’s struggle dealing with Kate fighting for her life and Anna fighting to make her own choices.

In the novel, the reader hears the perspective of each character due to the clever way Picoult changes view points at every chapter. I think it was this style of writing that helped the film be as artistic as it was. I think it was the artistic style in which the film was made that kept me liking it even though the story was drastically altered. Many of the scenes don’t even involve the characters talking they are just images with music playing. Sometimes they added voice over’s during the music for the characters to share their thoughts and feelings and a lot of the story gets told from flashbacks as well. It is honestly a beautiful film. The main controversy over this film was the major change to the ending. A lot of readers were angered by the change because Picoult did have the perfect ending to the story. One thing people know who read Picoult books is that there is almost always a twist. The film took this away. In my opinion, standing alone they are both good; but putting them together the change in the ending seriously hurts the movie’s fan club.

Here is the film’s trailer:


Enjoy!

6 comments:

  1. I'm so glad you brought this movie up because I had completely forgotten about it! I have always wanted to see it, and now I am adding it to my Netflix queue as soon as I finish here. The storyline is like nothing I've ever heard, and I'm curious about the ending to both the book and movie. Thanks for not ruining it for me, haha!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel the same way that Emily does! I wanted to see this when I first saw the trailer, but never got around to it. Now I'm very curious about the ending! Although, I'd be okay with a spoiler. I'm one of those types.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanx for the comment! I agree with you about the book its more personable with each character.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I loved the movie, but haven't read the book.I might pick up the book just to get a different view.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Book/movie controversies always interest me when something major gets changed. Almost tempted to spoil this for myself to see what it is this time.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I appreciate the "no spoiler" policy. That's a general rule in entertainment blogging/writing. Either omit, or put it way down the page with a big "SPOILER WARNING" label.

    ReplyDelete